Thursday, February 11, 2010

It's a.....

Josh and I had our big ultrasound appointment on Tuesday. We had a little "mini" ultrasound at my very first appointment to find the heartbeat since we opted out of doing the first trimester screening. Since we opted out of that screening this ultrasound is really the only one we will get for the entire pregnancy. It was so amazing to see the baby and see all of its tiny little parts. The ultrasound tech was so nice. She explained exactly what everything was during each different measurement she took and then reassured us each time that everything looked perfect! It was so different than how I thought it was going to be because I have always heard that they weren't allowed to say anything at all, except what the gender of the baby was. It was great though. Josh and I decided that we were going to find out the gender of the baby. Originally I thought that I might want to wait until delivery but Josh said that there was no way he could do that! I didn't put up a fight about it because I didn't have that strong of an opinion (which is relatively odd for me) and because I thought it would be a good way for Josh to be a part of the pregnancy. It's crazy how I get to experience everything (the good and the bad! ha) and he sort of gets to sit on the sideline. I always used to think that men were lucky not to have to go through labor and childbirth and all of that, but it really is cool having a life growing inside of you. It's an incredible feeling and I don't know how I would feel if I was on Josh's side of it. All that to say, I think knowing the gender will help him prepare and bond more with the baby.
Back to the Ultrasound... So she asked us before I even got on the table if we wanted to know the gender of the baby. As soon as we told her that we did my heart started racing like crazy. When she started we immediately saw the baby's spine, and then she started taking measurements from the head down. I was thoroughly enjoying seeing all of it, but I was sooooo nervous the entire time. It seemed like it took her forever to get down to the legs. Once she got down there she "Well....IT'S A BOY!!!!!!, no doubt about it."
It was crazy. I'm not a very emotional person, but tears just started coming down my face. I had a feeling that it was a boy pretty much from the moment I got pregnant. Along with my feeling, every single "old wives tale" test said that it was going to be a boy, including the chinese gender chart (with both my chinese and regular age), the pencil test (which is pretty creepy), and various online tests and every person I talked to, excluding three or so, said they thought it was a boy. I had pretty much convinced myself that it was a boy. However, last weekend we went to a Superbowl party with a bunch of Taylor friends and they all said that they thought it was going to be a girl. Shelby told me that she was convinced her baby was a girl before the ultrasound and then found out it was a boy. Then our pastor said with both of her children she was convinced they were the opposite of what they were, until she had them. Finding out all of this two days before my ultrasound I started to wonder if maybe my instincts were wrong! But they weren't, and we are thrilled! (Not that we wouldn't be thrilled if it was a girl, but we are really excited about our boy!)

No comments: